This year’s NYBG Holiday Train Show begins November 21, 2015 and stays in station until January 18th, 2016. If you have not been yet, why are you waiting? This classic holiday tradition for train kids and adults of all ages. Apple Moms have been attending the Holiday Train show for five years now with our kids. While the Trains may be the main attraction the Botanical Gardens have so much more to offer all over during your visit. This is one of our favorite holiday traditions. One lucky Apple Moms Family will be attending the Holiday Train Show at NYBG by winning our giveaway, check it out at the end.
What is the Holiday Train Show?
A display of model trains and landmarks of NYC and area attractions. All attraction models are made natural materials such as tree bark, leaves and more.
- A captivating short film screening of the behind-the-scenes magic that takes place in order to bring the show to life. Discover where the designers find their inspiration to render the buildings and landscapes in their signature whimsical detail—all crafted from found plant materials. Learn how the engineers keep all the trains running and assemble all the tracks!
- 3,000 square feet of additional space, allowing for 360° viewing opportunities of intricate structures such as the original Pennsylvania Station, Macy’s, NYBG’s Enid A. Haupt Conservatory, among others, while trains and trolleys zip through and around them.
- A multisensory finale that features sound and light in the Reflecting Pool under the glass dome of the 90-ft.-high Palms of the World Gallery. Surrounded by 1964 World’s Fair replicas, the iconic Unisphere is featured with an architectural detail of the Tent of Tomorrow, an homage to New York City’s architectural history that has underpinned the show since its inception.
Adult Fun- Bar Car Nights
Select Friday and Saturday nights from 7pm-10pm, adults enjoy a complimentary drink, while stopping by different heated stations and watching ice carvers make sculptures. Time entry to the Holiday Train Show featuring models and
- November 21, December 4, 5, 18, 19, January 2, 8, 9, 15, 16 7–10 p.m. (timed entry to Holiday Train Show®)
- Live Music at the Pine Tree Café
- Sets at 7:15, 8:15, and 9 p.m.
- During each night, bands perform at the Pine Tree Café, where you can sit and listen to live cabaret and jazz sets, perhaps asking your date for a dance! The rotating musicians include:
- Myriam Phiro’s French Quartet
- November 21, December 18 and 19, January 15 and 16
- The musical style of Myriam Phiro’s French Quartet ranges from a seductive and elegant jazz singer to an energetic swing dancer. Brought together by a mutual love of French cuisine and French music, she began a musical partnership with trombonist Robbie Klein. Robbie has a decade of education in American Jazz, yet found himself captivated by French music at first “bonjour!” www.myriamphiro.com
- November 21, December 18 and 19, January 15 and 16
Other happenings at NYBG during the Holiday Train Show
In addition to the enhanced exhibition experience, the Garden grounds transform into a winter wonderland with programming for all ages to enjoy:
- During Evergreen Express in the Everett Children’s Adventure Garden, children embark on a journey through a variety of hands-on activity stations to explore cones, needles, and other amazing evergreen plant parts and craft a miniature balsam fir sachet. Families can also walk the trails of the Adventure Garden on a scavenger hunt in search of beautiful evergreen trees and shrubs. Each weekend brings even more fun with Holiday Train Parades and Ralph Lee’s Artist Station, where children can build their own train puppets. The Everett Children’s Adventure Garden is open all day for exploration. Guided Activities: Weekdays, 1:30–5:30 p.m.; Saturdays and Holiday Week (December 26–January 1), 10 a.m.–6:30 p.m.; Sundays, 10 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
- Attend the Holiday Tree Lighting of a stunning conifer display by special guests, and join in an old-fashioned sing-along with the Westchester Chordsmen featuring carols from many traditions. Sunday, November 22, 4–5:15 p.m.
- Hear former U.S. Poet Laureate Billy Collins at a special reading of his work and train-themed poems—including beloved winter selections to celebrate the season—on Saturday, December 12 at 2 p.m. Space is limited; reserve your tickets in advance to guarantee seating. Get your tickets here and select the special All-Garden Pass titled Poetry for Every Season Reading: Holiday Train Show.
- Stroll through the Leon Levy Visitor Center and along Perennial Garden Way to read train-inspired poems by Billy Collins in the Poetry for Every Season: Holiday Poetry Walk. Poetry will be displayed in the landscape and accompanied by a free cell phone audio tour. Co-presented with the Poetry Society of America.
- The Winter Harmonies Concert Series on December 13 & 20 presents Bach’s Brandenburg Concertos #4 and #5, Vivaldi’s “Winter,” and other holiday classics performed by Le Train Bleu with music director Ransom Wilson. Concerts begin at 4 p.m. and last approximately 75 minutes. New this year is a family concert each day at 2 p.m. Visit nybg.org for additional information.
- Celebrate the holidays with Holiday A Cappella, a mix of traditional and contemporary seasonal music performed by a cappella musicians. Saturdays and Sundays, November 21–January 18; 1:30 & 3:30 p.m.
- Watch holiday classics during Holiday Film Screenings on Fridays–Sundays, November 21–December 20; daily, December 21–31.
- Join daily explorations of the Garden’s landmarks and find the beauty in the winter landscape during the Holiday Landmark Tour and Winter Wonderland Tree Tour.
- In January every toddler’s favorite train comes to the Garden in All Aboard with Thomas & FriendsTM. Join Thomas and Driver Sam on a fun-filled, sing-along, mini- performance adventure by helping them decorate the station in time for the big Sodor surprise party before the guest of honor arrives! Parents: Bring your camera to have a photo op with Thomas and capture the special day! Select dates, January 2–24. Visit nybg.org for the full performance schedule. (Thomas the Tank Engine and FriendsTM ©2016 Gullane [Thomas] Limited.)