Winter outdoor sport time is here. Do your kids ski or snowboard? Do they want to this year? Growing up in Brewster a favorite past time was going to Big Birch, turned Thunder Ridge. I started in 3rd Grade, when students were bused after school to the mountain for lessons and free ski, then we diid the town lessons, or just were dropped off with our season passes once we hit middle school. I ended up working there teaching ski lessons and snowboard, I even met my husband there. Now we share our love of the snow and snowboarding with our kids. Starting them officially last year at 4 & 5 years old on the mountains. It is a great family activity, getting kids outdoors too. (I highly recommend renting equipment for young kids or searching for really good deals during the off season.)
Have a 3rd or 4th grader? Check out the ISKYNY Free for Kids program for this season.
Here is a list of Hudson Valley Ski mountains. Make sure to check with mountain about their hours before heading out.
- Thomas Bull Memorial Park. 211 State Rte. 416, Montgomery, 12549. Open Sat. 10am-8pm Sun. 10am-5pm. MLK Day & Presidents Day 10am-5pm. Enjoy a variety of things to do including snow tubing, sledding, cross country skiing, and ice skating. Conditions permitting. 845-457-4949.
- Mount Peter Ski & Ride. 51 Old Mt. Peter Rd.., Warwick, 10990. Hours depend on passes and weather conditions check site for more details. Enjoy ski hills, ski rentals, lifts, ski lessons and new for 2015 Tubing! 845-986-4940.
- Friends of Sterling Forest. 116 Old Forge Rd., Tuxedo, 10987. Visit sites such as Southfields Furnace, the Sterling Furnace, and the Sterling Forge, and learn about the group’s special outdoor hikes. Open daily from 8am-4:30pm. 845-351-5907.
- Juckas Stables. Rte. 302 Bullville, 10915. Lessons are available to both new and experienced riders alike, who can enjoy the winding trails of Orange County on horseback and visit the barnyard animals. 845-361-1429.
- Victor Constant Ski Area. 732 Victor Constant Rd., West Point, NY 10996. Enjoy the slopes skiing and snowboarding for family fun and maybe even have a close encounter with the Army cadets. Open to the public Mon.-Fri. 3pm-9pm. Season passes available for sale to public starting Nov. 7th. (season passes valid anytime 7 days a week) go to website www.westpointmwr.com/ski/index.html for more information. 845-938-8810 (active starting Nov 1).
- Bear Mountain State Park’s Ice Rink. Bear Mountain, 10911. Enjoy stunning scenery during 90-minute skating sessions throughout the day and evening. See website details for operating hours. 845-786-2701 ex 266.
- Sawkill Family Ski Center. 167 Hill Rd., Kingston, 12401. Open Thurs. (12/26/13) Sat., Sun., and holidays 10am-4pm. A new snow tubing run and magic carpet lift. A small beginner’s hill for skiing or snowboarding, with rentals and lessons available. 845-336-6977.
- Pine Grove Ranch and Family Resort. 30 Cherrytown Rd., Kerhonkson, 12446. Open Mon.-Sun. 10am-4pm. Snow tubing, ice skating, skiing, laser tag, ping pong, and more fun. 800-346-4626.
- Hudson Valley Resort & Spa. 400 Granit Rd., Kerhonkson, 12446. Open Sat. and Sun. 10am-12pm, 2pm-4pm. Enjoy the rolling hills of the resort’s snow cover golf course. On-site now making ensures fun without worrying about snow fall and a T-bar lift takes all riders up to the top after each run. 888-9HUDSON.
- Minnewaska State Park: 5281 Rte. 44-55, Kerhonkson, 12446. Enjoy cross country skiing and the nature scenic route along the way. (845) 255-0752. See site for more details.
- Monhonk Mountain House: 1000 Mountain Rest Rd., New Paltz, 12561. Enjoy food, accommodations, spa treatments, and skiing all in the same place. (855)883-3798. See site for more details.
- Pine Grove Ranch and Family Farm: 30 Cherrytown Rd., Kerhonkson, NY 12446. Enjoy snow tubing, ice skating, and skiing! 800-346-4626
- Holiday Mountain Recreation Area. 99 Holiday Mountain Rd., Monticello, 12701. Offers family tubing, ski lessons, a snowboard club, and a ski club for everyone to enjoy. 845-796-3161.
- Villa Roma Resort & Conference Center. 356 Villa Roma Rd., Callicoon, 12723. Open Dec. 2014. Enjoy ice skating, a chair lift, tube run, skiing, food, beverages, and other winter activities. 845–887-4880.
- Belleayre Mountain: 181 Galli Curci Road, 12441. A mountain where anyone can ski or learn to ski. (845) 254-5600. See site for more details.
- Bowdoin Park. 85 Sheafe Rd., Wappingers Falls, 12590. November through February 8am-5pm. Sledding on the main hill, portable ice skating rink and hot chocolate and coffee at the vending machine pavilion. 845-298-4600.
- Clarence Fahnstock State Park: 1498 New York 301, Caramel, NY 10512. Enjoy sledding and snowshoeing trails. (845) 225-7207
- James Baird State Park. 14 Maintenance Ln., Pleasant Valley, 12569. Open year round. Enjoy cross country skiing and snowshoeing in the wintertime. 845-452-1489.
- Burger Hill “Scenic Hudson Valley”. State Highway 9G, Rhinebeck, 12572. Open year round, daily at 9am-8:30pm. Enjoy cross country skiing, sledding, and snowshoeing. 845-876-4213.
- Mount Beacon: Fishkill, 12508. Along with skiing enjoy the beautiful views from the top of the mountain. (845) 765-3262. See site for more details.
- Ogden Mills & Ruth Livingston Mills State Park. Old Post Rd., Staatsburg, 12580. Open year round. Various activities include cross country skiing, sledding, and snowshoeing trials. 845-889-4646.
- Thunder Ridge Ski Area: 137 Birch Hill Rd. Patterson, 12563. Enjoy skiing, ski lifts, snow boarding, and other winter activities. (845)878-4100
- Catamount: 3290 New York 23, Hillsdale, 12529. Choose from skiing or snowboarding with the family and if lessons are needed you can take those too. (518) 325-3200. See site for more details.
Other great sledding hills in Dutchess are:
Lakeside Park, Pawling
Memorial Park, Beacon
Thomas J. Boyce Park, Wingdale
Mount Beacon Park, Beacon
And just outside of Dutchess is Clermont State Historic Site
** CHECK all place before heading out for changes and opening/closing status**